Old Courthouse

Old Courthouse

The Old Courthouse, a St Louis Landmark, is located in downtown St. Louis on land that was donated by Auguste Chouteau and Judge John B. Lucas to the city under the stipulation that it would forever be used for a courthouse. The courthouse that is seen today began as a brick building in 1828 and has undergone many periods of construction, demolition and renovation to become the beautiful building that it is today. In 1930 the new Civil Courts Building was opened and the "old" Courthouse was no longer being used as a courthouse so the city of St. Louis deeded it to the Federal government. It was then turned over to the National Park Service in 1940 and was incorporated into the Gateway Arch National Park.

Visit the Old Courthouse

Visitors can view exhibits that trace St. Louis' history and learn about the historic slavery trial of Dred Scott and his wife Harriet that was held there. It is listed on the National Park Service's National Underground Railroad "Network to Freedom" because of the Dred Scott case. There are also two restored courtrooms, one restored to its 1860's appearance and the other to its 1910 appearance. Many special events are held at the Old Courthouse throughout the year.

The Old Courthouse Hours

Admission to the Old Courthouse is FREE. The Old Courthouse is open daily; closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. See website for current hours.

Old Courthouse Address and Phone Numbers

Old Courthouse
11 North 4th Street
St Louis, MO 63102
877-982-1410

Old Courthouse Related Links:

Old Courthouse in St Louis - National Park Service Website

Real Estate For Sale in 63102.

Condos For Sale: 11
Homes For Sale: 1
Commercial For Sale: 2
Total For Sale: 14
For Sale Sign

Featured Properties For Sale

314 North Broadway St Louis MO 63102
Beds: 2 Baths: 2 - The Historic Marquette Building Exceeds The Standard For Exclusive Downtown Living. Its Carrera Marble Lobby &... See details
Michael Abernathy MORE, REALTORS | 314-414-6000